● Renal Cortex is light colored and smooth outer portion of the kidneys. It can be clearly seen in cross section of a kidney and appears as smooth outer part with projections between Pyramids.
● Renal Cortex contains upper part of the Nephrons (functional unit of kidney which form urine by filtration) which include
Renal tubules except loop of Henle
● Renal Cortex also contains blood vessels, connective tissue and Collecting Ducts.
- Renal Cortex is part of the kidney where filtration for Urine formation occurs.
- Renal Cortex also produces Erythropoietin which induces production of haemoglobin and Red Blood Cells.
- Renal Cortex is the site affected mostly in kidney infections.
- Autoimmune Diseases affect Renal Cortex.
- Cancer can develop in Renal Cortex.