STRUCTURE AND POSITION
- Urethra in males is present inside penis.
- Male Urethra is usually 20 cm long.
- Urethra starts at internal urinary meatus at neck of bladder and ends at external urinary meatus at end of penis.
- Urethra is divided into four parts as Pre-prostatic Urethra, Prostatic Urethra, Membranous Urethra and Spongy Urethra.
- Urethra has an Internal Urethral Sphincter at its commencement and External Urethral Sphincter in its membranous portion. Later is voluntary.
- Urethra functions to excrete Urine out of the body during Micturition.
- One can voluntary control passage of Urine by contraction of External Urethral Sphincter.
- Semen passes out through Urethra during Ejaculation in males.
- Inflammation of urethra caused by infection etc is called Urethritis and causes pain while Urination. It is more common in females.
- Cancer of Urethra can occur known as Urethral Cancer.
- Urethra can open at abnormal place over penis as higher to normal position (Epispadias) or lower than normal position (Hypospadias)
- Bladder can be examined via urethra by the help of Endoscopy.